There are many companies on the market that offer a variety of fuel card options to suit the specific needs of businesses. However, the best fuel card for your business will largely depend on the sector your company functions in, the size of your business, its potential to grow and the volume of the fleet your business operates.
A fuel card, or fleet card as they are otherwise known, is used as a payment for petrol, diesel and other fuel types at petrol stations. Implementing these cards within your business fleet brings about many advantages with the most significant being impressive fuel savings.
There is no shortage of options due to the wide array of fuel card suppliers that exist. In other words, competitors offer solutions that can be tailored to the size of your organisation and the type of fuel used by your fleet.
With such a range of options, Expert Market understands that it can be difficult to make an informed decision. To help you, we have reviewed the best fuel cards on the market below.
Comparison: What Are the Best Fuel Cards?
|Supplier||Minimum Spend||UK Sites||UK Motorway Sites||Compare|
|£300||1200||33%||Save up to 30%|
|None||1700||90%||Save up to 30%|
|£200||6500||Unknown||Save up to 30%|
|£300||2000||Unknown||Save up to 30%|
|£300||1900||Unknown||Save up to 30%|
Compare the Best Fuel Cards Today & Save up to 30%
What Type of Fuel Do You Use?
Select your answer and fill out the form on the following page
BP Fuel Card
Offering two levels of fuel card services, BP boasts a card that can be used at over 1200 sites in the UK, including a third of all motorway service stations. BP are one of the most ubiquitous fuel providers in the UK. In fact it is estimated that 90% of Britain’s population live within 5 miles of a BP forecourt.
With a terrific security back up system and interest free credit, BP are thought to offer one of the best fuel cards in the UK. To add to this, a minimum spend level of just £300 makes it a popular one.
Allstar Fuel Card
Allstar offer several fuel cards with varying degrees of benefits. You can find out more about these by reading the review. With over 1700 stations in the UK and a mammoth 7600 in total, Allstar offers access to over 90% of the nation’s fuel stations. This includes supermarket chains.
With a 24/7 support service, and one of the most secure networks on the market, it is not surprising that Allstar are thought to be one of the best fuel cards in the industry.
ESSO Fuel Card
As one of the giants of the fuel industry, ESSO offer a network of over 1000 fuel stations to their customers. In itself, this may not seem so impressive, but when you factor in the over 1000 Shell forecourts that also accept the ESSO fuel card, the accessibility of the ESSO fuel card is impressive.
The minimum spend of £300 is fairly standard in the industry. However, ESSO set prices at their own level and not at national prices. This means they often have the edge over their competitors and the right to be considered as one of the best fuel cards.
UK Fuels Fuel Card
UK Fuels is one of the largest suppliers of fuel cards in the industry. They offer fuel cards from all the major players as well as their own branded set of cards. They have over 25 years of expertise at their fingertips and are renowned for providing impartial advice to drivers looking to improve their fleet efficiency.
UK Fuels excel have the largest selection of fuel cards. This, tied with 25 years of expertise and the ability to help you choose the best option for your business needs put UK Fuels firmly in the running amongst the best fuel cards. It also has no startup fees and some of its fuel card offerings do not require a minimum spend.
Texaco Fuel Card
Another of the major international fuel companies, Texaco are a must for anyone wishing to conduct a thorough fuel cards comparison. With a combined network of over 1900 fuel stations that include Texaco’s own, Morrisons supermarkets and a whole range of independent fuel suppliers, Texaco are highly thought of by their large base of customers.
The £300 minimum spend is manageable for all but the smallest of ventures and the Velocity based security system is one of the most secure on the market.
Big brands, as seen above, tend to be more expensive. This, however, may not be suitable for your business needs. Ultimately, this will depend on your business’s size, scope and fleet type.
With this in mind, some businesses may wish to consider a cheap fuel card – yes, these exist in the market too!
A Guide To Cheap Fuel Cards
See below for an outlined guide on cheap fuel cards.
There are certainly advantages for some companies who take the budget route in regards to their fuel card system.
- Upfront costs - Spending a large amount up front on an expensive fuel card system is not an option for some businesses. For smaller companies or new ventures, a cheap fuel card is something of a godsend. As a starting point, the cheap fuel card is a perfect fit.
- Coverage - Having a complex and more costly fuel card system is not necessary for some businesses. With little need for the deeper options or further flexibility, a simple cheap fuel card is more than enough to cover the process of running a small fleet of vehicles.
- Simplicity - As some of the more complicated fuel cards on the market offer a greater amount of services and management options, they can lead to confusion and frustration. The simplicity of cheap fuel card can be a more attractive option for some businesses.
Of course, to some degree you get what you pay for and cheap fuel cards are no different. With cheap fuel cards, you may experience the following.
- Less Support - The system itself is often more simplistic when cheaper, whilst the more expensive services tend to offer greater support. This can be particularly useful in regards to fuel card management.
- Less Usage Options - Larger companies that offer more expensive fuel cards are usually ones that provide a greater choice of petrol stations. Not only does this mean less frustration in general but it also offers eace of mind to fleets that might use rural or international routes.
- Less Flexibility - With cheap fuel cards, there is a tendency to offer the basics of the system, leaving little room for flexibility. For smaller businesses this is rarely an issue, but for more complex ventures, a greater degree of flexibility is paramount.
- Hidden Costs - As with all fuel card services, the devil is in the detail. Perhaps the offer may be attractive from the outset, but ensure you read the small print before committing.
- Long Contracts - With minimum spends and long term contracts, the cheap fuel card option can look a lot like a mobile phone contract. Although the cheaper selection with a longer contract and more restrictive options might suit some, it is important to weigh this up with the risk of your company’s requirements changing in the future.
Finding the best fuel card for you business is not an easy undertaking, especially when you consider the importance of selecting the right one. This applies even to those who consider themselves an expert on the subject. It doesn't matter whether you prefer to spend that bit extra or go for the low-price option, as long as you are sure that it is the best fuel card for you.
Our simple form at the top of the page will help you select the best fuel card for your business. You will be able to compare fuel cards that reflect your fleet size, sector and budget. It should take no longer than a minute to complete and can save you time and frustration. This method will also offer the peace of mind that comparing reputable suppliers gives.